Friday, June 17, 2011

Day One,At The Hotel Villa Espanol!

I'm chilling in our hotel complex's lobby (I say it's a complex because of the concrete walls and gate protecting us from annoying people wanting to do things for us for tips), listening to...Miley Cyrus and Eminem...in Guatemala now. In a hoody. Apparently June is the rainy season.
Anyways, flying down was pretty much a breeze. When Rich, the director of Field of Harvest Missions, booked our flights they told him we were each allowed two check through bags and two carry-ons. The rules changed without notice, and we had to pay an extra $30 for each extra check through suitcase we had, which were ironically filled with ministry materials and stuffed animals for the orphans. Thanks, American Airlines. This is exactly what we want at 4 freaking A.M.
The flight to Miami was 2.5 hours and I slept against the window, and next to an old guy. The flight to Guatemala was also 2.5 hours, and I slept against the window and next to a Guatemalan kid and his mom. They looked at me funny =}
We breezed through customs where they looked at our passports and papers we filled out (I've a feeling it won't be so easy getting back in) and we made it to the other side!

My team is pretty sweet. I listened to Shane sing Tom Petty in every airport and scream at his IPod games on the way to the hotel. Emily is the name of my roomie. She makes really good conversation and has the same aspirations for her life as I do. It feels really nice to be understood; to have someone else who lives their life day-to-day, waiting on God to call them to the next school, town, or country, for only He knows how long.

I just told my dad "I'm so happy to be out of that country and away from its idiots!" referring to specific people, of course. Hpwever, Guatemala is obviously uncomparable to America. In America, little men don't try to handle your luggage without permission and ask for tips. We have alarm systems, not barbed wire and ten foot tall gates around our property. We have educated parents who know not to move their eyes away from us when we're toddlers. We also have much better fashion sense than even the wealthiest Guatemalans. =]

For those of you WU kids who know Esteban Saldi, he is an amazing teacher.  I wish I spent more time with him now, because I've no idea what anyone is saying. But since English is an influential  language enough for its popstars to be blasting from hotel lobbies a on other continents, most people speak at least a little.  For instance, the chick at Burger King (we've also got McDonalds down here) knew what Ketchup was.  And it was Heinz!!!

Tonight we're going to practice our skit, eat dinner at Poyo Campero (the Guatemalan version of KFC) and go to a Guatemalan mall (HIGH EXCITEMENT!) Then a reallyyyy long nap in an actual bed, which I haven't slept in for 24 hours. Hooray!

I hope everyone is doing well up there! Let me know if Obama gets assassinated while I'm gone. Peace out, girl scouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment